Saturday, October 29, 2005

First Nine Weeks Breakdown

Here is the breakdown of how the first nine weeks turned out.

For geometry:
Total number of students: 96
As (93 - 100): 16
Bs (85 – 92): 16
Cs (75 – 84): 17
Ds (70 – 74): 8
Fs (below 70): 30
Incompletes: 8

For pre-algebra:
Total number of students: 19
As (93 – 100): 0
Bs (85 – 92): 1
Cs (75 – 84): 7
Ds (70 – 74): 3
Fs (below 70): 6
Incompletes: 1

I teach one more class of pre-algebra, but Meredith has those grades since we co-teach.

There’s a lot of pressure here to pass students, so I feel like I passed more than those who earned it, but I know my principal and assistant principal think I failed too many. However, I only had 8 students fail that turned in all major work and didn’t cheat on anything. I had 28 students out of 96 cheat on a test or a quiz. I even had two students cheat on the Nine Weeks Test, which is 33% of their grade and an automatic failure in my class. I’ve even told them I give different versions. I had 11 students out of the 88 who did not receive incompletes that never made up a test or quiz, and I even allow them to take the tests or quizzes during class if they can’t come after school. I’m not even going to bother counting the number of students who didn’t turn in their notebook or project. I’m supposed to give zeros if a student cheats or doesn’t turn in the work, but I’m not supposed to fail anyone. The administrations’ solution to poor academic achievement seems to be that the teacher should change the grading. Of course it isn’t the students’ fault—it’s the teachers’ fault. No wonder the students act this way. Even with my grading, I still had 10 students make a 98 or above.

Thankfully, it’s only this way in the high school. The junior high principal stands behind her teacher’s decisions, which I really appreciate. She sees that if a student doesn’t do the work, that’s their decision. I think most of the students here choose to fail, although I’m sure they don’t see it that way.

That’s the one thing that bothers me the most about the students—lack of personal responsibility. I’m one of those people that if I’m supposed to do something, I do it and I do it right and I do it on time. Anytime I have ever been put in a group I have completely taken over the group and done all the work myself because I think I’ll do it better than anyone else. That’s just me. And now I feel like I’m responsible for these students’ behavior and actions and there is only so much I can do to control them and it makes me crazy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben Guest said...

Tiffany,

You are doing the right thing.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home