Wednesday, June 15, 2005

A Country Dictionary from a City Girl

I have realized that certain terms are loosely used in the country parts of Mississippi. I was raised in Dallas, and I went to school in Austin, so I have found myself creating new definitions of terms as used in my new surroundings.

highway: a long stretch of road with one lane going in either direction, usually flanked on either side by fields

traffic: a slowing of vehicles due to the large number of tractors on the "highway" (see above) during the Fall

a long commute to work: a 20 minute drive in "traffic" (see above)

downtown: one or two blocks of shops and a restaurant built very closely together

grocery: often used in place of restaurant

Feel free to add more definitions as needed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you won't have to see a continual onslaught of chain stores sprote up around your favorite parts of town, get beat by the Boomer Sooners every fall, or deal with the nightmare which is I-35.

On the down side, the Tex Mex in North Mississippi and the Delta isn't as good.

However, the bbq is better.

The hook 'em sign makes a good class husher.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home